Immerse into the rich and centuries old folklore, traditions and lifestyle of the villages in Mavrovo..
Enjoy the cultural diversity of the area of Mavrovo with our cultural discovery trips of the Miyak/Dolna Reka regions, i.e. the villages of Galicnik, Rostushe and Janche.
The village of Galicnik is located near the lake of Mavrovo, deep within the Mavrovo national park. The area is famous for the "Galicnik Wedding", a traditional 3 day event held anually during St.Peter's day. During the wedding, local men will dance the "Teshkoto" - a dance that is meant to symbolize the overcoming of difficulties in life. Galicnik and the area are famous in the region for it's prominent architectural and cultural features, the unique folk costumes, songs and dances, as well as delicious local cuisine.
Our tour will give you a glimpse of the centuries old lifestyle of Galicnik by having the chance to wear the local costumes and do some activities which were common in the village until the 1st half of the 20th century (at that time the population started migrating to the large cities).
Rostushe and Janche
Photos from Mavrovo national park:
Price (per person):
Please inquire (price depends on group size)
- Guidance by experienced local guide
- 3 activities to choose from: cooking, learning how to make local cheese, visit of a local goat farm, wearing traditional costumes, visit of a village house (applies to both trip options)
- Lunch (beverages excluded ; selection of dishes typical for the area is offered, locally sourced ingredients)
- Transport to/from point of departure
- Travel insurance
- Individual expenses
* This is non scheduled tour with flexible dates.
- Locations: Around Mavrovo national park
- Group size: 2-12 persons
- Best time to go: Depending of area (please inquire)
- Place of departure: Your hotel/hostel
- Duration: Full day
- Reservations: 2 days before
- Time of departure: Daily, early morning hours
- Confirmation for this trip is received within 24h
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated