Shirok Sokak is the main and busiest street in Bitola, with numerous shops and bars. Located in the city center, as local population says, this is the place where you go if you want to see someone in Bitola or to be seen. On Shirok Sokak there are many shops, bars, restaurants, the theater, city museum, galleries and cafes. The need for most of the public life to be in the center of the city, which always had an intense cultural and entertainment life, made this street a place where many representative buildings were built: The building of Bitola Museum, Army House, Hotel Epinal, House of Culture, the Catholic Church, Clock Tower, Yeni mosque, Isac mosque, Church “Sv.Dimitrij” and others.
The Clock Tower with imposing height of 32 meters, is the most recognizable landmark of Bitola.
According to some historical records, a clock tower in Bitola is mentioned as early as 1664, but we can not reliably determine whether it is the same Clock Tower that exists today. According to some researchers, today’s Clock Tower was built at the same time as the nearby church of St. Demetrius, in 1830.
Isak Mosque is largest and main mosque in Bitola, situated along the north bank of the Dragor River.
Built in 1506, the whole mosque complex was ideally situated between the government buildings, covered bazaar Bezisten and the Big Bridge to the other side of the river connecting it with the main street Sirok Sokak.
Dzepane or “The Fortress above Bitola” (Turkish “cephane” – gun powder / ammunition depot) is a monument of culture in Republic of Macedonia. Built in 1876, it consists of four unique buildings, built from carved stone and surrounded with high stone wall. The object is located in the former Bitola barracks area and is considered to be the supreme architectural accomplishment of the masons from Smilevo village.
Heraclea Lyncestis is ancient Macedonian city located 2 km from Bitola. Founded in the middle of IV-th century B.C. by Philip of Macedon, Heraclea existed for over a millennium as an important strategic point. In the middle of the II-nd century B. C. the Romans conquered Macedonia, destroying its political power, making it a province, disintegrated it into four districts. Heraclea which belonged to the fourth district, prospered a lot during this time, mainly due to Via Egnatia road, on which this town was an important station. Life in Heraclea, as in many other classical cities, died out at the end of the 6th century, when it is believed the population moved to the present location of Bitola city.
Pelister national park
Pelister is one of the first protected national parks in the Balkans. Due to the relict of the tertiary flora – the "Molika" pinetree (Pinus Peuce Griseb), and the morphological and glacial relief in the alpine part of the mountain, in 1948 Pelister was declared a National Park. It is located only 15 km from Bitola, and makes for an invigorating natural escape from urban life. Pelister is characterized by lush, well-watered forests and unique geological formations, which include layers of Paleozoic and Mesozoic magma rock and layers of quartz. The park is also rich in springs, streams and rivers, and contains two glacial lakes locally known as the Mountain’s Eyes. The Big lake is 2,218 metres above the sea level while the Small lake is 2,180 metres high. The climate in Pelister National Park is diverse. On the peaks, there is snow even in July, and in some places the new snow meets the old from previous years.
Propping up the base of Pelister, just 5km from Bitola, the 830m-high mountainside hamlet of Dihovo is a charming spot, surrounded by thick pine forests and rushing mountain streams. The village's proximity to the main access road into the Pelister National Park makes it a popular base for hikers and bikers, and locals have shown impressive initiative in developing their traditional community into a pioneering rural tourism destination. On our trips in the area we will introduce You to our local micro suppliers, hardworking people who gladly share a glimpse of their daily life with our guests.
Church of Saint Dimitrij
The church St. Dimitrij in Bitola was built in 1830, replacing the former old burnt chapel from 1726. Built with special permission of the Turkish authorities, the church supposed to be modest and nondescript building, lower than the surrounding mosques.
Therefore, it was dug into the ground and is was built in just four months with donations from Bitola Christians. Today the church St. Dimitrij is the central church in Bitola, and it hosts the largest number of weddings, christenings and is the central place for all major Christian holidays.
Bazaars in Bitola flourished especially during the 19th century, when they were spread from “Drven Pazar” (Дрвен пазар – wood market) to “At Pazar” (Ат Пазар – Horse Market), with more than 2,000 stores, many shops, mills, inns and Covered Bazaar – Bezisten. There were over 30 functionally divided bazaars, determined according to the goods being sold: Pekmez bazaar (Пекмез пазар), Cereal bazaar (Житни пазар), Horse bazaar (Ат пазар), Wood bazaar (Дрвен пазар), “Lenski”, Covered bazaar etc.
Scroll to Content
Bitola, historically known as Monastir or Manastır, is a city in the southwestern part of the Republic of Macedonia. The city is an administrative, cultural, industrial, commercial, and educational centre. It is located in the southern part of the Pelagonia valley, surrounded by the Baba and Nidže mountains, 14 km north of the Medžitlija-Níki border crossing with Greece. It is an important junction connecting the south of the Adriatic Sea with the Aegean Sea and Central Europe. It has been known since the Ottoman period as “the city of the consuls”, since many European countries have consulates in Bitola.
Bitola is one of the oldest cities on the territory in the Republic of Macedonia. It was founded as Heraclea Lyncestis in the middle of the 4th century BC by Philip II of Macedon. During the Ottoman rule the city together with Salonica were the two reigning cities of the Ottoman Rumelia (Macedonia) province.