City of Bargala
Bargala is located south-east of Stip, by the Bregalnica river. Last archeological researches, discovers that the period of late antique and the early Christian period was fill out with plenty monuments. In the 4th and 5th century AD, Bargala became important and well known strong cultural and religious center. Not far from Bargala was discovered the ruins of the ancient city of Astibo, near Stip.
The bezisten is an old Turkish market, located in the center of Stip. It is built of stone, and it is supposed to have originated from the 16th or the 17th century. Today, this construction is being used as an art gallery.
Isar fortress is located between the rivers Bregalnica and Otinja. Exact records of the time of the construction of the fortress have not been found. Some of the 19m high fortress walls have been preserved. During the middle ages, churches were built on all four sides of the fortress. In 1332, a church dedicated to St. Archangel Michael was built. The second church, built in 1341, was dedicated to St. Nikola, and a few years later, the third church - which has been preserved in its original form until the present day. The last church dedicated to St. Vasilie, was located on the north side of the fortress, and it was built in 1337.
Scroll to Content
Štip is the largest urban agglomeration in the eastern part of the Republic of Macedonia, serving as the economic, industrial, entertainment and educational center for the surrounding municipalities. As of the 2002 census, the Štip municipality alone had a population of about 47,796. Štip is the largest textile production center in the country; Center of the fashion industry in Macedonia, as well as the location of the sole public university in Eastern Macedonia, Goce Delčev University of Štip. The first known opera performance in Republic of Macedonia was staged in Štip in 1925. The city is located at the intersection of the Lakavica, Ovče Pole, and Kočani valleys.
Two rivers flow through Štip, the Bregalnica which is the second largest in the Republic of Macedonia, and the Otinja which divides the city center. The hill Isar, with its early medieval fortress on top, dominates the city and provides for the common reference as “The city under the Isar’.