The Matka Canyon is 15 km west of Skopje, on the way to Tetovo. It offers both traditional and sport climbing routes. It is a wilderness area centered on the River Treska and Lake Matka. In the area there are two Macedonian Orthodox monasteries dating from the 13th century that are accessible along easy trails. Our rock climbing day trips include most of the climbing routes in the area of Matka, which are accessible by trails that begin over the large dam outlet near the hydroelectric plant.
Rock structure: The rock is a limestone conglomerate, giving it a very craggy appearance.
Climbing season: With good weather, You can climb in Matka year round. The periods from March through June and from September through November are best, although in winter there are also some good days for climbing. During midsummer, early morning and late afternoon climbs will keep You out of the heat.
Protection: Alpine routes are relatively well protected with pitons. Because of the rock composition, the security of pitons can vary – be careful. Sport climbing routes are bolt protected.
Equipment: Standard gear for traditional of sport climbing: dynamic rope, 15-25 quick draws (depending of the route), sometimes helmets, shoes, harnesses etc.
Duration of the tour: Full day
– Transportation from Skopje
– Climbing guides & equipment (harness/ropes)
– Lunch (picnic or arranged at local restaurant – depending on selected climbing route; selection of traditional dishes; beverages included)
– Climbing tutorial (the tour is suitable for beginners)
– Travel insurance
– Individual expenses
– Climbing shoes
– Comfortable clothing & shoes
Place of departure: Your hotel.
Reservations: 2 days before
– Minimum age for children accepted on the climbing tour is 7 years
* This is non scheduled tour with flexible dates. We recommend May-October
Number of Participants: 2-12
Tour grade: //
Prices: Confidential prices for TOs available upon request. Price depends on the number of participants.